Thursday, October 14, 2010

Courage, my friends. 'Tis not too late to build a better world.

The title of this post, a quote from the late Saskatchewan premier, Tommy Douglas, seems the only possible title to apply to this courageous video.

While all of the "It Gets Better" videos have spoken a profound measure of hope, this courageous statement by Fort Worth, Texas Councilman speaks that hope so poignantly while presentingg the raw devastation of the despair he felt as a young adolescent. He skips over two sentences that he finds simply too hard to read, but the context makes it clear that he came perilously close to taking the same path of despair that far too many LGBTQTS teens have taken.

Every bully should be forced to watch this.



(Note for my non-Canadian readers, Tommy Douglas is also the grandfather of film and TV star Keifer Sutherland.)

5 comments:

Ann said...

Thanks again for this one -- it is so moving. It obviously does get better but why did anyone ever have to suffer like this?

keith nethery said...

I've seen several of these "it gets better" clips. This is by far the most courageous. Thanks for sharing. I plan to have my three kids watch it and have already posted it to my facebook page.

Unknown said...

thanks for leaving this. Appreciate very much seeing this clip once again. But... Tommy Douglas was Kiefer's Great grandfather, Donald Sutherland's Grandfather.

Unknown said...

sorry! I went to get a coffee and the caffeine woke me up. You were right about Keifer and I obviously need more coffee.

Malcolm+ said...

Just to be clear for anyone else reading this, Tommy Douglas is Kiefer Sutherland's maternal grandfather.